Meet our Official and Appointed Officers
A LIFE OF SERVITUDE TO THE LORD
The Spiritual Deacons’ primary duty is to assist the Pastor in meeting the spiritual welfare of the disciples of Shiloh Baptist Church of Landover, MD. The Deacon is to serve God by serving God’s people. The Deacon must show compassion for God’s people, have a spirit of discernment, be faithful to act in accordance with God’s will, and must be patient.
The duties of the deacon are:
- Be the Pastor’s helpers and counselors
- Exercise prudent watch care over the church membership
- Visit the sick/hospitalized
- Examine with the Pastor candidates for church membership
- Prepare the Lord’s Supper
- Assist with serving the Lord’s Supper
- Assist and provide counseling to candidates for Baptism
- Serve on committees and ministries as assigned by the Chairperson
- Assist families when a loved one has gone to be with the Lord
As a Deacon of Shiloh Baptist Church, our major attention will be given to serving God under the leadership of the Pastor. In the hierarchy of the Church structure, God is the Head, the Pastor is the Under Shepherd/Leader, and the Deacons are main supporters of the Pastor.
DUTIES OF THE FACILITIES DEACONS
The duties of the Facilities Deacons consist of the following:
- Assist the Pastor in carrying out the physical upkeep/makeup of Shiloh Baptist Church of Landover, Maryland, and its properties
- Be responsible for proper maintenance of the Church and its equipment
- Develop a good housekeeping and maintenance program
- Assist the Pastor in overseeing facility maintenance projects performed by outside licensed contractors and vendors
- Write and solicit proposals from contractors for maintenance by getting referrals and by developing fine-tuned Request for Proposals (RFP’s) for future bids
It is essential to understand that in order to accomplish these duties, the Facilities Deacons must maintain a good working relationship with “licensed” local contractors and vendors to ensure that Shiloh is getting top-quality services. Therefore, we must work very closely with the Pastor, Chairpersons, and the Finance Deacons to ensure funding is available for priority projects.Shiloh has an abundance of talent within the congregation; therefore, volunteers are our backbone on many projects. Additionally, our church’s sexton is always available and on call, and is instrumental in assisting with the completion of multiple projects and the upkeep of the church.
Send questions or comments regarding church property or upkeep to Facilities@shilohbc.org.